GRAINGER PRIVACY SUMMARY
HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION AND HOW IS IT COLLECTED?
We collect many categories of personal information. The categories we collect may include: Contact and profile information; comments and suggestions, chat and opinions; Payment and transaction information; Location information; Information provided by social networks; Information provided by third parties; Information about fraudulent or criminal activity related to your account.
This personal information is collected from you in many ways, which are described in the full Policy. A few examples include:
- When You Submit Personal Information To Us. We collect personal information about you when you register for an account, make a purchase, sign up for marketing communications, or send it to us.
- When You Use Our Service. We collect some personal information about you automatically as you use our Service and visit our branches.
- From Our Third-Party Partners. We may also collect personal information from our third-party partners who help us to provide the Service or from other third party partners to supplement or enhance our information.
We may link or combine information that we collect about you from various sources to help ensure a consistent user experience regardless of how you interact with us – online, in-branch, on mobile, or on social media.
To Learn More about the information we collect and how we use it, or see our full Policy.
HOW DO WE SHARE INFORMATION?
We share information in a variety of circumstances to provide our services, respond to your requests, improve your experience, and otherwise conduct our business. For example, we may share information:
- With third parties to fulfill your request, such as when you choose to share your activities on Grainger with your friends and contacts, or when you engage in promotional activities we provide with third party partners
- With select third parties, so that they can provide you with information and marketing messages about products and services you may enjoy
To Learn More about these and other ways in which we may share your personal information, please see our full Policy.
WHAT CHOICES DO YOU HAVE?
We want you to understand your choices regarding how we may process your personal information. Depending on how you use the Service, these choices may include the following:
- Interest-based advertising. Visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, and/or the DAA’s resources to learn about how you may opt-out of certain interest-based advertising. Some of these opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept cookies. Furthermore, if you use a different device, change browsers or delete cookies, you may need to perform the opt-out task again
- Cookies Settings and Preferences. You may disable cookies and other tracking technologies through the settings in your browser.
- E-mail Settings and Preferences. If you no longer want to receive marketing e-mails from us, you may choose to unsubscribe at any time. You can also set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain tracking technologies.
California residents click here to learn how we process information in accordance with California law.
Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW DO WE USE IT?
- INFORMATION AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTED THROUGH COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGY.
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- YOUR CHOICES AND CONTROL OVER YOUR INFORMATION
- THIRD PARTY DATA COLLECTION AND INTEREST BASED ADVERTISING
- HOW WE STORE AND PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- STATE-SPECIFIC DISCLOSURES
- LINKS TO OTHER WEB SITES AND SERVICES
- HOW TO CONTACT US
We collect personal information about you when you voluntarily submit information to us when you use our Service. This can include information you provide to us when you register for an account, make a purchase, post a review, send us messages, subscribe to our mailing lists, newsletters or other forms of marketing communications, participate in a survey, click on an ad, redeem a promotion or use some other feature of our Service.
We collect certain information automatically when you use the Service, such as information about the pages you look at on our Service, the actions you take on our Service or the device you use to access our Service.
We may also collect information about you from third parties.
- For example, the types of personal information we collect may include:
- Contact and profile information
- Comments, chat and opinions
- Payment and transaction information
- Location information
- Information provided by social networks
- Information provided by third parties
- Information about fraudulent or criminal activity related to your account
When you use our Service, visit our branches, read our emails, or otherwise engage with us through a computer or mobile device, we and our third party partners, automatically collect information about how you access and use the Service and information about the device you use to access the Service.
We use this information to enhance and personalize your user experience, to monitor and improve our websites and services, and for other internal purposes.
We typically collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, Flash objects, web beacons, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, and similar technology (collectively, “tracking technologies”).
Information we collect automatically about you may be combined with other personal information we collect directly.
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Control Over Your Information” section below.
We may share your personal information with the following parties:
- Third parties at your request: You may choose to share your activities on Grainger with your friends through email, text or on various social media networks.
- Promotional partners: Third parties with whom we partner to provide contests and sweepstakes, or other promotional activities, which will usually be identified by name in the Official Rules of the contest or sweepstakes.
- Select third parties: Third parties, so that they can provide you with information and marketing messages about products or services that may interest you. To opt-out of our sharing your personal information with such companies, see Your Choices and Control Over Your Information, below.
- Service providers and advisors: Third party vendors and other service providers that perform services for us, on our behalf, which may include identifying and serving targeted advertisements, providing mailing or email services, tax and accounting services, product fulfillment, payments processing, data enhancement services, fraud prevention, web hosting, or providing analytic services.
- Product Suppliers: Third party product suppliers who may have a legitimate business or legal interest in receiving such information. For example, personal information may be shared with product suppliers to fulfill warranty service obligations, product recalls, or transaction tracking regarding shipments or leases of supplier products.
- The public: When you provide feedback or post user content on our site. For example, if you post a product review on our website or a comment on our social media sites, your information, such as your first name, last initial, state of residence, and your comments, may be displayed on our website or on our social media pages.
- Purchasers and third parties in connection with a business transaction: Personal information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with a Grainger-related transaction, such as a merger, sale of Grainger assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another Grainger or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings; and
We may also share information with others in an aggregated or otherwise anonymized form that does not reasonably identify you.
Profile and data sharing settings: You may update your profile information, such as your user name, address, or billing information, and may change some of your data sharing preferences on your Account Page.
How to control your email preferences: You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). If you receive SMS text messages, you may opt-out at any time by replying STOP or following the instructions in the text message communication.
Modifying or deleting your information: If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your information, or if you want to remove your name or comments from our website or publicly displayed content, you can contact us directly at Data.Privacy@grainger.com. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
Geolocation and in-branch location: You may control location tracking by adjusting your location services settings on your mobile device. We may continue to approximate your location based on your IP address when you access the Service through a computer or device.
We engage in interest-based advertising and permit third party online advertising networks, social media companies and other third party services, to collect information about your use of our websites and mobile apps over time so that they may play or display ads on our Service, on other websites, apps or services you may use, and on other devices you may use. We may also use third party services to collect information about your browser or device, or your online activity on our Service so that we may enhance or personalize your experience, better understand the demographics of our users and how they interact with our Service, evaluate the success of our marketing campaigns, track reporting, referrals and attribution, and similar activities.
Data storage and transfer: Your information collected through our website may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Grainger or its affiliates or service providers maintain facilities. If you are located in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
Keeping your information safe: Security of your information is very important to us, and we have put in place safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of information we collect and that we share with our service providers. However, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Grainger does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 on this Site. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 13, please contact us at Data.Privacy@grainger.com
We may choose or be required by law to provide different or additional disclosures relating to the processing of personal information about residents of certain states. Please refer below for disclosures that may be applicable to you:
- California. If you are a California resident, please click here for additional California-specific privacy disclosures. You may also submit a request through our Privacy Portal.
- Nevada. Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes permits a Nevada resident to opt out of future sales of certain covered information that a website operator has collected or will collect about the resident. To submit such a request, please submit a request through our Privacy Portal.
The Services may contain links to and from third party websites of our business partners, advertisers, and social media sites and our users may post links to third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. We strongly recommend that you read their privacy policies and terms and conditions of use to understand how they collect, use, and share information. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content on the websites of third party sites.
Effective date: January 1, 2020